3 DIY Christmas Scents

10:00 AM


On the third day of Blogmas Santa gave to me? 3 DIY Christmas Scents! One you can cook, one you burn, and one you can drink.

If anyone knows me personally, they know I'm a sucker for coffee, scented candles & potpourri's! I just love infusing my room with different kinds of scents, from mint, to green tea, to lavender & more! And ofcourse, my daily routine wouldn't start without a good cup of black coffee.


With 3 different kinds of scents, we have 1 main star for this DIY, the 1 main ingredient: Cinnamon! Whether you have it in sticks or ground powder. It still works the same. In my case, I've searched high and low at our nearest grocery and I've had zero luck on finding some Cinnamon sticks. /cries

Anyhow, I've gone around pinterest and gathered some bunch of recipe's and easy DIY's to make your own scents! Ones that could make you smell like it's Christmas! Scroll down for their recipes!

One you can cook: Christmas Potpourri


Make you house smell like Christmas with this easy DIY potpourri! It can be prepared for just a few minutes and cooked for 30-1hr. Once this starts to boil, the strong aroma can really reach all the areas of your house. The key is the infused smell of citrus, licorice, cinnamon, ginger & vanilla. I swear this combination smells heavenly.

In the original pinterest recipe, they added in some cranberries and 1 small branch of fresh pine. I'd think it would give off more stronger scent with those added in but sadly this is not popular (or easy) to find in the Philippines. So I opt for the one's that are available locally. And it still works! 

Ingredients: 

  • Oranges (Cut in halves)
  • Cinnamon (3 Sticks or 1 cup Powder)
  • 1 inch Ginger (It's like a small block)
  • 1 tbspn Vanilla Extract 
  • 2-3 pieces Star Anise (These gives the strong licorice smell.) 
  • 1/2 cup of Rosemary 

Instructions:

Fill up a small pot with water and bring to boil. Throw in the ingredients and stir. Let it simmer in low heat for about 30mins to 1hr. 

This should be good for about 3 days. Just reheat it up and it should still give off a good Christmas scent all over the house. I sure remember my family repeatedly saying it smells good. 

One you can burn: Cinnamon Scented Candle


I've always wanted to try making my own candle. I just don't know what I need and how to start. Luckily, I've found DIY instructions on pinterest! And surprisingly, it's not that hard!

Ingredients: 

  • Candles (Old or new ones, unscented.) 
  • Mason Jar/Container
  • 1 cup of Cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 cup of Rosemary (optional) 
  • 1 tspn Vanilla Extract
  • 1-2 Sticks
  • 1 candle wick (Can be bought in hardware stores.) 

Instructions: 


Prepare your container. Using 1 stick, wrap the ends of the wick around to hold. Then dip the end of the wick on a melted candle wax. (I used my other scented candle to dip the end. I lit it up for awhile until it melted and dipped it in) 


Using another stick, carefully place it in the middle of your container and hold it in place for a few seconds until it sticks to the container.


Cook your candle. (I used a new unscented candle on this one.) I cut mine in halves so it's easier to melt. Just simply place it in the pot then stir with a wooden spoon/spatula until it melts completely. Pour in the vanilla extract along with the cup of cinnamon powder (and if you're adding rosemary, add it in as well). Stir until contents mix well together.


Carefully pour the contents in the container while holding the wick with the stick in place.


Let it cool for at least a few hours or until you see it's all dried up. The combination of sweet & strong aroma from the vanilla extract & cinnamon is just perfect.

One you can drink: Cinnamon Black Coffee


And ofcourse, who doesn't love the smell of coffee? The aroma alone can make you feel warm and cozy on cold winter days. (Well, Philippines don't have winter. But you know what I mean.)

Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 tspn of your favorite black coffee
  • 1/2 tspn of Cinnamon powder
  • 2 tspns (Or depending on your preference level of sweetness) of Honey

Instructions:

It's basically just making your cup of coffee with a dash of Cinnamon to it. The aroma of cinnamon blended coffee is your goal. Plus, you can drink it while you do your daily routine.


So, if you're planning to have some guests over this holiday's, you know what to do. Be the perfect host and spice up your home with these scents and serve them some good coffee. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search

Disclaimer

All photos in this blog are from © Monica Chavez unless stated otherwise. Please do not steal them & use without permission. Comments & Suggestions are welcomed.